We Are Improving!

We hope that you'll find our new look appealing and the site easier to navigate than before. Please pardon any 404's that you may see, we're trying to tidy those up!  Should you find yourself on a 404 page please use the search feature in the navigation bar.  

Star InactiveStar InactiveStar InactiveStar InactiveStar Inactive

The Enfield Police Department has charged a woman for reportedly concealing her mother's death because she was curious about the stages of death.

The police department reported the crime on its Facebook page and sent out a press statement on the matter.

Chief Tyree Davis could not immediately be reached for comment this afternoon and did not immediately respond to a series of questions about the case sent via text message.


In the statement Davis said Donna Sue Hudgins, 69, of Enfield, was charged with felony concealment of death.

Investigation began when Hudgins went to a funeral home to make funeral arrangements, stating her mother passed that morning but she did not know where EMS had taken the body.

The funeral home tried and also could not locate the deceased.

The funeral home became concerned and contacted the Enfield Police Department.

Davis, Officer Jerry Shoemaker and Detective Teo Antunez Jr. responded to the mother's residence and were able to make contact with Hudgins who also resides at the residence.

After speaking with the daughter, officers entered the residence to do a welfare check and discovered a badly decomposed body in the home.

Detective Willie Murphy Jr. and Antunez led the investigation and found the deceased was in the home for several months before the daughter notified family members of their mother's passing.

Detectives interviewed Hudgins and learned she did not report the death because she was curious and wanted to see the stages of death.

After consulting with the Halifax County assistant district attorney, charges were filed against Hudgins for concealment of her 93-year-old mother's death.

Hudgins was arrested and issued a $5,000 bond by Magistrate Christopher Kidd and is scheduled for court on November 7.

After consulting with the district attorney's office the police department will not be making any other statements regarding this case, Davis said in the statement.

He referred questions to the district attorney's office.

A representative for the district attorney's office could not immediately be reached for comment this afternoon.