The North Carolina Forest Service has lifted a ban on all open burning which went into effect at noon today.
The ban is lifted in 67 counties including Halifax and Northampton counties.
The ban, which went into effect November 29 due to hazardous forest fire conditions, remains in effect for the additional 33 North Carolina counties.
“The rainfall we are seeing across much of the state right now is doing what we need it to do,” said Agriculture Commissioner Steve Troxler. “Forest fuels are soaking it in, and conditions are improving.”
The commissioner said, however, “Residents in the 67 counties no longer under the state’s burn ban should still burn responsibly, check for local burning restrictions, and make sure you have a valid permit. Check the weather, and never leave a debris fire unattended. If you’re in one of the 33 counties still under the state’s burn ban, please be patient and hold off on burning.”
As of noon, burn permits were available in the 67 counties no longer included in the state’s ban on open burning.
Residents can obtain a burn permit from any authorized permitting agent or online at www.ncforestservice.gov/burnpermit.
For the 67 counties no longer included in the ban, all burn permits previously granted were canceled when the ban became effective. A valid permit must be obtained.
Residents with questions regarding their specific county can contact their N.C. Forest Service county ranger or their county fire marshal’s office.
To find contact information for your local NCFS county ranger, visit www.ncforestservice.gov/contacts.