The remaining person wanted in a January 25 murder in Gaston has been arrested and charged, according to the Northampton County Sheriff’s Office.
Captain Patrick Jacobs said in a statement Tuesday evening Willis Maurice Robinson, 29, of Roanoke Rapids, was arrested Monday by the Lee County Sheriff’s Office.
He was served with outstanding warrants for one count of first-degree murder, one count of felony inciting a riot, one count of possession of a firearm by a felon, and one count of attempted first-degree murder.
These warrants and charges stemmed from a murder and shooting which occurred at the E.E. Odom Civic Center in Gaston where a birthday party was being held.
The gunfire resulted in the death of Dexter Robinson, 53, of Roanoke Rapids. Three others were injured.
Jacobs said in response to follow-up questions on the news release, it is not believed that Willis Robinson or any others charged with murder were acquainted with or knew the victims.
He said in the shooting death there have been two charged with murder as the alleged shooters inside the building that night. Six others were charged with crimes related to the party.
It is believed that a fight within the party that night escalated to a shooting, he said in response to the other questions asked by rrspin.com
Warrants were taken out on Willis Robinson in June and up until his arrest Monday he had been unable to be located.
Jacobs said in the statement Willis Robinson is being held without opportunity for bond and has a first court appearance scheduled Thursday.
“I would like to thank all the agencies that helped with this investigation,” Sheriff Jack Smith said in a statement. “This is a very unfortunate situation that occurred and our agency takes cases of this magnitude very serious. I would like to thank our detectives along with the agents from the State Bureau of Investigation for their continued efforts and dedication investigating this incident.”
Jacobs said in an update to a news release about a shooting in Conway Saturday, the man charged — Maurice Saddler, 27 — was in a standoff in the same residence on Deberry's Mill Road with law enforcement where he refused to exit.
After approximately two hours he exited the residence and voluntarily surrendered to law enforcement.
No juveniles were injured in this incident.
Saddler had lived at the residence off and on with his girlfriend who was the victim.
All juvenile victims were under the age of 13.
In the domestic situation, the 34-year-old victim appeared to have sustained one single gunshot wound to the abdomen area and sustained injuries to her facial area.
Investigation by Sergeant A. Leitner determined the reputed suspect was Saddler of Conway.
The victim was transported to a local hospital and considered to be in stable condition.
Leitner charged Saddler with assault on a female, four counts of assault in the presence of a minor, assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill inflicting serious bodily injury, and attempted first-degree murder.
He was also served additional warrants out of Hertford County for obtaining property by false pretense, financial card theft, identity theft, financial card fraud, and served an order for arrest for failure to appear. He received a $6,500 secured bond for the Hertford County charges and has a September 20 court date.