We Are Improving!

We hope that you'll find our new look appealing and the site easier to navigate than before. Please pardon any 404's that you may see, we're trying to tidy those up!  Should you find yourself on a 404 page please use the search feature in the navigation bar.  

User Rating: 5 / 5

Star ActiveStar ActiveStar ActiveStar ActiveStar Active

The Roanoke Rapids Police Department reported the following, according to interim Chief Bobby Martin:

Sunday shortly after 6 p.m. Master Officer M. Hunsucker was assisting Weldon police when he heard a call about a person trying to steal two TVs from Walmart.

As Hunsucker headed to the scene the suspect was fleeing in a vehicle.

The officer spotted the vehicle heading towards Weldon, turned around and attempted to make a stop.

The vehicle was eventually stopped on County Road just past Ransome Circle after traveling at a high rate of speed.

Three video games still in the plastic could be seen in the vehicle.

The driver was identified as Fuquan Dickens, 22, of Scotland Neck, and was identified as the person attempting to take the two TVs.

Officers located several more video games for a total of 8. The  PS4 games were stolen from Walmart.

Dickens was charged with the attempted larceny of the televisions.

He was charged with larceny and possession of stolen goods for the video games, which had a total value of $175.79.

In addition to those counts he was also charged with careless and reckless driving and no operator’s license.

He received a $4,000 bond and July 19 court date.

Lieutenant J. Baggett, Sergeant A. Salmon, and Officer D. Newsome assisted.


This morning shortly before 4, officers responded to the 600 block of Raleigh Drive on a report of a man trying to get into a residence.

The man, who had been dealt with earlier in the night for being intoxicated and at a home where he did not live, was identified as Corey Thornton, 37, of the Roanoke Rapids area.

Officers placed him under arrest for trying to enter a home and several cars in the neighborhood.

He was taken before a magistrate where he was charged with attempted first-degree burglary. He received a $10,000 bond and July 3 court date.

Officer Hayden Marshall was the charging officer.

Baggett, Salmon, Officer C. Roberts, and Hunsucker assisted.