We Are Improving!

We hope that you'll find our new look appealing and the site easier to navigate than before. Please pardon any 404's that you may see, we're trying to tidy those up!  Should you find yourself on a 404 page please use the search feature in the navigation bar.  

User Rating: 5 / 5

Star ActiveStar ActiveStar ActiveStar ActiveStar Active

A house on Glover Street sustained kitchen damage Tuesday night, according to the Roanoke Rapids Fire Department.

Chief Jason Patrick said the occupant of the residence in the 1900 block made it out of the house safely.

Firefighters were dispatched to a kitchen fire around 8:30 p.m.

They observed fire coming from the rear of the home. The occupant told firefighters the fire was in the kitchen area.

Patrick said the fire appeared to have started on the stove.

Firefighters quickly made entry and extinguished the fire.

The rest of the house sustained heat and smoke damage. “The initial quick response by on-duty firefighters which consisted of C-shift personnel was instrumental in containing the flames and stopping the spread throughout the rest of the home,” Patrick said.

The American Red Cross was called to assist the resident and firefighters remained at the scene for about two hours conducting overhaul. “We would like to remind everyone to make sure you do not leave cooking unattended,” Patrick said.

Fourteen off-duty firefighters were called in to assist.  

Halifax County EMS, Roanoke Rapids Public Works and the Roanoke Rapids Police Department were also at the scene.