We Are Improving!

We hope that you'll find our new look appealing and the site easier to navigate than before. Please pardon any 404's that you may see, we're trying to tidy those up!  Should you find yourself on a 404 page please use the search feature in the navigation bar.  

User Rating: 5 / 5

Star ActiveStar ActiveStar ActiveStar ActiveStar Active

The Roanoke Rapids Police Department reported the following, according to Chief Bobby Martin:

Friday shortly before 11:15 a.m., Officer J. Horne was in the area of East First and Jefferson streets about a man passed out in a vehicle with possible narcotics in his lap. 

Horne located the vehicle, approached the driver’s side and saw the driver was still passed out with the vehicle running and in gear.

The officer noticed the driver had a clear baggie containing a white powder on his left leg. 

Horne secured the bag and placed it on the roof of the car. 

The driver regained consciousness and Horne told him to stay in the vehicle.

Returning to talk to the driver after putting on gloves to handle what was possibly fentanyl, Horne saw the driver flee the vehicle with the baggie. The officer caught him but not before the man, Christopher Gibson, 42, threw the bag in a storm drain. The bag was recovered.

Gibson was charged with possession of schedule I, possession of schedule VI, resist delay and obstruct, possession of drug paraphernalia, damage to personal property, and served with an outstanding order for arrest out of Northampton County. 

He received an $8,000 bond and November 11 court for the Roanoke Rapids charges and a $300 bond for the Northampton County OFA.

Lieutenant T. Tyler, Sergeant R. Cross, and Officer C. Roberts assisted.


Sunday shortly before 3:30 a.m., Officer D. Newsome was working a special assignment at I-95 Sweepstakes when he observed a vehicle drive up to the business and make an abrupt stop. The driver tried to make a left turn but had difficulty.

The driver proceeded into the lot and parked but appeared unsteady and staggered as she made her way into the business before exiting. 

The driver got back in the vehicle and drove off. Newsome pulled out behind her and conducted a traffic stop to check her ability to drive after watching her stagger across the parking lot.

Newsome noticed an overwhelming alcohol smell coming from the vehicle.

The driver refused to do any field sobriety tests and was placed under arrest for suspicion of driving while impaired. 

Damesha Vick, 43, of the Weldon area, was carried before a magistrate and charged with DWI and driving while license revoked. 

She received a $500 bond and November 8 court date.

Sergeant J. A. Salmon and Officer C. Walker assisted.