Battalion Chief Kevin Hawkins said firefighters responded to the residence shortly after 1:30 p.m. and found the residents on the porch with a garden hose in hand. Light smoke drifted from the residence.
Firefighters Clay Barmer and Gabe Fanara entered the residence and discovered thick, black smoke coming from the kitchen.
The cabinets and microwave above the stove were burning. Firefighters extinguished the fire and removed the stove, microwave and cabinets from the wall to check whether flames had entered the wall. A slight fire in the walls was extinguished, Hawkins said. “We did salvage and overhaul to keep the damage to a minimum and ventilated the residence.”
Hawkins said there was heavy smoke damage throughout the house and the kitchen was burned.
With having to buy a new stove, redoing the walls and cabinets and repainting the rooms, Hawkins estimated the damage at $20,000. “Our response time possibly saved the residence from devastating loss.”
The origin of the fire was the stove but firefighters could not determine whether the stove was on or off and the residents said they were not cooking at the time.
Three pets were recovered from the smoke-filled house, Hawkins said.