Thursday, 23 November 2017 17:58

Kitchen fire causes significant damage at Washington St. house

Written by 
Rate this item
(1 Vote)
Firefighters examine the kitchen after the blaze. Firefighters examine the kitchen after the blaze. Contributed

Roanoke Rapids firefighters saved a house  from possible total loss today after responding to a kitchen fire in the 500 block of Washington Street.

Battalion Chief Kevin Hawkins said firefighters responded to the residence shortly after 1:30 p.m. and found the residents on the porch with a garden hose in hand. Light smoke drifted from the residence.

Firefighters Clay Barmer and Gabe Fanara entered the residence and discovered thick, black smoke coming from the kitchen.

The cabinets and microwave above the stove were burning. Firefighters extinguished the fire and removed the stove, microwave and cabinets from the wall to check whether flames had entered the wall. A slight fire in the walls was extinguished, Hawkins said. “We did salvage and overhaul to keep the damage to a minimum and ventilated the residence.”

Hawkins said there was heavy smoke damage throughout the house and the kitchen was burned.

With having to buy a new stove, redoing the walls and cabinets and repainting the rooms, Hawkins estimated the damage at $20,000. “Our response time possibly saved the residence from devastating loss.”

The origin of the fire was the stove but firefighters could not determine whether the stove was on or off and the residents said they were not cooking at the time.

Three pets were recovered from the smoke-filled house, Hawkins said.

Read 5447 times

Comments on Kitchen fire causes significant damage at Washington St. house


Latest Events

Thu Feb 15 @10:00AM - 04:00PM
Library book sale
Wed Feb 21 @10:30AM -
Story time on Wednesdays
Thu Feb 22 @11:00AM -
HCC Food Tasting
Wed Feb 28 @10:30AM -
Story time on Wednesdays
Tue Mar 06 @ 6:30PM -
Democratic party meeting
Sat Mar 10 @11:00AM - 01:00PM
Hope, Help, Healing
Fri Mar 16 @10:00AM - 02:00PM
Weldon PD blood drive
Thu Mar 22 @ 8:30AM - 05:00PM
Clara Hearne pre-K registration
Fri Mar 30 @12:00AM
Artisans, crafters needed for fair
Sat Mar 31 @12:00PM -
Project Graduation Boston Butt, stew sale

Login Form