The victim, who the fire department declined to name, was taken to Halifax Regional by Halifax County EMS for treatment of smoke inhalation and was expected to be transported to North Carolina Jaycee Burn Center in Chapel Hill for further treatment, Deputy Chief Mike Clements said.
The extent of the man’s injuries beyond smoke inhalation was not immediately clear.
The department received the call of a house fire at 434 Franklin Street shortly before 2:45 this morning and arrived to find flames coming out of the northwest corner of the residence.
Firefighters entered the house and did a quick knockdown. As it was unclear whether all occupants had safely exited the residence, firefighters did a search and found the male victim in a room adjacent to the room of origin, Clements said.
The victim was removed and CPR was performed before EMS took him to Halifax Regional. A family pet, a cat, was also safely returned to the occupants.
Other residents of the house escaped through windows and other exit points, Clements said.
It was unclear how the family was alerted to the fire. Battalion Chief Kevin Hawkins said firefighters were unable “to locate any form of smoke detection.”
Hawkins said the fire’s origin was in the living room and the cause is believed to be tied to an improperly spliced wire for a window air conditioning unit.
Clements said damage was contained to the room of origin and there was smoke and heat damage throughout the house.
Clements said teamwork by A-shift helped in locating the victim. “Once we determined a person was inside, a search was conducted and the person was found and rescued by members of A-shift working together as a team.”
The scene was deemed under control around 3 a.m. and firefighters remained at the residence until nearly 5 this morning for salvage and overhaul.
Sixteen firefighters, three members of Roanoke Valley Rescue Squad, EMS and police responded.