We Are Improving!

We hope that you'll find our new look appealing and the site easier to navigate than before. Please pardon any 404's that you may see, we're trying to tidy those up!  Should you find yourself on a 404 page please use the search feature in the navigation bar.  

User Rating: 5 / 5

Star ActiveStar ActiveStar ActiveStar ActiveStar Active

The driver of a passenger vehicle which struck a Northampton County activity bus enroute to a basketball game at Weldon High School is confirmed dead, according to Weldon police Chief Chris Davis.

Northampton County Schools Assistant Superintendent Kelvin Edwards said nine varsity basketball players were treated for non-life threatening injuries sustained in the crash this afternoon.

The driver of the passenger vehicle also clipped another Northampton County activity which was carrying junior varsity players. That bus was ahead of the one carrying the varsity players.

Edwards said the game between Weldon and Northampton was postponed. He said the bus carrying the varsity players was rendered inoperable from the crash, which occurred on Country Club Road in the Weldon town limits.

The JV players were not injured, Edwards said.

The name of the person who died in the crash was not immediately available as next of kin have not been notified, Davis said.

Edwards said the students who were injured sustained minor cuts and abrasions. The bus drivers were not injured.

Several Halifax County EMS ambulances were at the scene as well as a Roanoke Valley Rescue Squad heavy duty truck. Members of the Weldon Fire Department assisted and the Halifax County Sheriff’s Office was on scene for traffic control.

Davis said the North Carolina State Highway Patrol is assisting the police department.

The crash scene where the passenger car driver perished was cordoned off with crime scene tape. EMS personnel could be observed screening the vehicle by holding white sheets as they worked to get the passenger car driver out of the wrecked vehicle and keep the scene obscured from students and onlookers.

As of this report Davis was still in the process of interviewing witnesses.