A Roanoke Rapids woman was being transported to UNC Medical Center after she sustained smoke inhalation and burns in the aftermath of a fire this morning on Raleigh Drive.
The Chaloner Middle School gym sustained heavy smoke damage this morning after a battery-operated lift apparently caught fire.
Roanoke Rapids Fire Chief Stacy Coggins recognized six firefighters this evening, two for administering CPR and four for going above and beyond the call of duty in helping a fire victim.
When the call went out for help in the mountains of North Carolina, four firefighters from Halifax County answered the call and one county ranger was dispatched.
The Roanoke Rapids Fire Department and the Main Street program told council this evening both departments received significant grant funds, which between the two funding awards total close to $200,000.
City fire and police officials believe the cause of a fatal fire Wednesday night to be smoking materials in and around the victim’s bed.
The Roanoke Rapids Fire Department confirmed this morning fire claimed the life of a resident at Becker Manor.