The explosion decimated the house on King Street to which firefighters responded.
The explosion sent debris scattering 100 feet into King Street, Halifax Fire and Rescue Chief Ed Johnson said.
No one was at the house when the explosion occurred around 4:30 p.m.
Johnson said firefighters arrived to find the front section of the house on fire. Firefighters from Halifax, Enfield and Weldon contained the fire within 10 to 15 minutes.
Johnson said firefighters don’t know the ignition source, but believe the house probably filled up with propane and the gas found an ignition source.
Johnson said he could hear the explosion from the Historic Courthouse where he works. “The explosion could be heard throughout town.”
As of this report, firefighters were continuing to check on hotspots and a lineman from Dominion had just began disabling a live power line.
The house on the left side had its windows blown out as well as the top eaves blown out.
Guy Suiter, whose mother’s house is on the right side, heard the explosion from his house further down King Street. He went to check on his mother’s house and found a window was knocked out. “We’re just blessed no one was hurt. It’s very fortunate.”
Between 25 to 30 firefighters assisted and the Halifax County Sheriff’s Office directed the traffic.
The homeowner had been moving into a new house in the county seat.