The speed of communications is wondrous to behold. It is also true that speed can multiply the distribution of information that we know to be untrue — Edward R Murrow
State Superintendent of Public Instruction June Atkinson also warned Halifax County Schools of decisions that could lead to “dire consequences” and have a “detrimental fiscal impact” on the system and its students.
A smoke detector is being credited for saving a man's life following an early morning fire in Gaston Monday.
Gaston Fire and Rescue Chief Ed Porter Jr. said units were dispatched to South Bay Street shortly after 4:30 a.m. and found the resident outside the house. The man told firefighters he awoke to the sound of the smoke alarm and found flames and smoke.
The man was later assessed by medical staff.
Gaston and Garysburg firefighters found the home engulfed. They contained the blaze to living area and Porter said the house could be repaired. “One piece of sheet rock fell down but there was no fire damage to to attic, rafters or floors.”
While the fire was not deemed suspicious, Porter said the fire appeared to have started in a couch in the living area. He said the man was a smoker but couldn't precisely link that as the cause.
The American Red Cross assisted in finding the man temporary housing.
A strongly worded letter from the chair of the State Board of Education criticizes, but does not name, several Halifax County schools board of education members of impeding the learning environment within the school system and disregarding advice that could land it in not only renewed financial peril but legal troubles.